Monday, February 13, 2012

BigHorn River March 2011


In March of 2011 I spent a week on the BigHorn river chasing rainbow and brown trout with eight other aspiring guides.  We were all there participating in Sweetwater Travels Fly Fishing Guide School.  Nine students and three instructors all packed into a multi-bedroom "condo" next to the river is just what any dedicated fisherman would call Disneyland.  Fishing all day and drinking and tying flies all night was only part of the fun that was had on that seven day trip.

When I arrived to the campground late Saturday night I had no clue as to where I was supposed to stay.  Being too exhausted to ask anyone I decided to crawl into the back of my truck to sleep for the night.  The next morning I awoke to find that I had slept in front of the "condo" that was rented for us for the week.  I walked in to find the other eight students had arrived the night before and were getting ready to wade fish that morning before our CPR/First Aid class began.  

After the first day of mostly indoor instruction we hit the water on Monday for our first day on the river floating in drift boats.  Words can not express how good the fishing was that week.  We were fishing mostly nymphs and streamers. In those 5 days of floating I caught more fish on a fly than on all of my previous fishing trips combined.  There were 
three drift boats and one jet boat on the river throughout the day.  Each day we would rotate as to be able to fish with everyone in the group.

It is easy to say that those days spent on the river fishing with my new friends were some one of the best days of my life.  As with any group of guys hanging out for more than a few days without any women in the mix the jokes and comments on the water throughout the day were dirty to say the least.  I made some great friends who I still keep in contact with pretty frequently and I would recommend this coarse for anyone that is thinking of becoming a fly fishing guide or just wants to learn to fish better.







No comments:

Post a Comment