Monday, February 13, 2012

Fishing with Fire!


I decided to hit up some warm water fish before heading back to the cold rivers of the Rockies in Montana.  So two friends and I loaded up the truck and headed to my cabin in Sylvania, Georgia for 24 hours of fishing for bass on the fly.  As we drove onto the property it became clear that that there was some prescribed burning going on around the 400 acre piece of land. 

At first I thought we were going to have to tuck our tails and run but as we arrived at the cabin the smoke seemed to be in the trees and fields surrounding us.  We quickly rigged our rods and started chucking flies in the water.  Across the pond the burn was raging which made for an amazing background while flyfishing for largemouth bass.

We caught fish throughout the afternoon and into the dark night.  Once it was dark we decided to fish from the canoe.  Random bits of smoke would roll in completely eliminating all visibility.  Casting into the smoke cloud and pulling out fish is one of the coolest memories I have fly fishing and it is something I will never forget.





No comments:

Post a Comment